Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vintage Apron Patterns, 1950s McCalls Style

I know I've said this several times in other posts, but I find the idea of an apron quite appealing.   But, I have to confess that I own nary a one.  Last month I was doing crafts with my young friend Stella, who asked for an apron.   When I told her I didn't have one, the look on her face told the whole story .... how could one not own an apron !

I now think of that every time I see an apron (or a pattern, since I don't own one), like these four advertised in a 1956 issue of McCalls Needlework.

 McCalls 1994 - Red carnations iron on, glamorize a cobbler for mature figures - sized 16 to 44.
I like the design, but this one would make my hips look larger than they really are (which is quite large).  Obviously 1956 was far before the 'Pounds Thinner' concept.  But, protection here would be on a grand scale.   There's a picture of the back over at Vintage Wikia.

McCalls 2038 -  Colonial embroidery motifs deck a cobbler.  Elastic shirred waist is optional.  Sized 10 to 16.  I find this one quite different with the shirres and elastic neckline.   I especially love the pockets which would make it most excellent for crafting.

McCalls 2061 - Make the cross stitch Bavarian apron in a light and dark color, embroider it handsome in bittersweet, pale and deep green, yellow, beige.  One Size.   This patter design is labor intensive with all the cross-stitch.  But, oh what a fashion piece when something rather old fashioned is called for.   The original envelope shows it also has the option of a half apron.

McCalls 2064 - A little clamp-on apron in shin red chintz trimmed with silver rickrac, white appliqued bells with real jingle bell clappers.   This pattern is actually an applique set, which includes a leaflet on how to make the Apron.  The flair on this little beauty is downright sassy!

Although not many, I do have a couple vintage apron patterns in my shop.   I posted a blog last week which contained a couple free pattern ideas as well.

Thanks for dropping by,
Lorrie

1 comment:

  1. The Bavarian is breathtaking - truly a piece of art. I can't imagine making all those stitches (and getting them all right the first time!). This is definitely one to be on display in, not your serious utility model.

    Lovely, just the same.

    ReplyDelete