Sunday, March 9, 2014

Vintage Crochet Flower Hair Accessories

I was just entering a new pattern into the shop for a set of hair accessories and found myself wondering if I didn't already have these.    Now, these hair accessories are not necessarily big sellers, but shouldn't a design that goes all the way back to the 1940s (and possibly earlier) deserve representation?   Well, of course --- I think so anyway.      
Flower Crochet Patterns for Hair Accessories
Here's the pattern I'm talking about.   It's 1946 from Anne Cabots Mail Order Album.   I love the loose sketch detail, accompanied by the photography.   I nice combination of four different flowers and two leaves, that could be mixed and matched in any number of ways.

Vintage 1940 Crochet Hair Comb Flower Pattern
And here's another marvelous set - this one issued as a 1943 Lily Mills Leaflet 112-b.  Not all of the options here are flowers, but all are quite delightful.

Crochet Pattern Flower Shoe Accessories
This set, a bit later 1940s, is from Coats and Clarks.   It's a nice flower with variation to be used in different ways.
Chrysanthemum Crochet Flower Pattern with Headband Pattern
This flower is quite Chrysanthemum like, although the pattern designer strictly referred to it as a pompom.  This same design was illustrated as a neckband or choker, with the flower slightly off center. 

These patterns were specifically issued as hair accessories.  But, one must remember that a flower is a flower is a ..... well, you get the idea.   
Crocheted Flowers Pattern is a Mail Order Design under the name of Laura Wheeler

The 1960s were well represented with flowers ... those put on a wire stalk and added to vases -- such as this Mail Order Design 524.  These flowers would make marvelous accessories.  

So, back to where I started, yes, I did have several patterns for flower hair accessories.  Don't forget that these are also great for chokers, wrist bands, shoes, label pins, over the top belts, etc. etc. etc.   I have well over 150 vintage books and magazines waiting to be processed, as well as over 500 mail order design patterns, so I have no doubt that more flowers will be appearing soon.

Okay, now I'll go back to my regularly scheduled work!.    Thanks for dropping by, 
Lorrie  

No comments:

Post a Comment